Lists of frequently asked questions
How can I install anti-virus?
Prior to the installation, we strongly recommend doing the following:
- Install all the critical updates released by Microsoft for your operating system (updates can be downloaded from the Microsoft update site);
- Use system tools to check the file system and fix problems, if any;
- Close other running applications.
To run the installation in normal mode, use one of the following:
- If the installation kit is a single executable file, launch the file.
- If the installation kit is furnished on a branded disk, insert the disk into your optical drive. If autorun is enabled, the installation procedure will start automatically. If autorun is disabled, launch the autorun.exe file located on the disk. The autorun window will appear.
Then proceed with the following steps:
- Press Install.
Follow the installation wizard instructions. At any installation step before file copying process is started you can use the two buttons:
- Press Back to return to the previous step;
- Press Next to move to the next step;
- Press Cancel to cancel the installation.
How can I know the version of the anti-virus I have installed?
In order to check the version number, right-click on the Dr.Web icon in the notifications area and select About. In the next window, you will see the Dr.Web version number and all the modules versions as well.
I have purchased Dr.Web Anti-virus license.Which of your products shall I install?
When purchasing our anti-virus, you obtain a certificate indicating which product the license you have bought is applied to. So, you need to install the product indicated.
I want to reinstall an operating system. My Dr.Web license has not expired yet. How can I recover my Dr.Web license on the new OS?
There are two ways to do it:
- Disable anti-virus self-protection (right-click on the Dr.Web icon in the notifications area, select Disable self-protection, enter digits from the CAPTCHA and press Disable self-protection), then copy the drweb32.key key file from C:\Program Files\DrWeb (or the anti-virus installation folder) to a removable media. After that, locate the drweb32.key file path during the anti-virus installation the new OS.
- Download the latest Dr.Web version from our website and launch the installation. During the installation, enter your serial number; the key will be downloaded and installed automatically.
My notebook CD-DVD drive is absent/broken. How can I install box version of anti-virus I have purchased?
In this case, you need to download the latest anti-virus distribution file from our website and install it.
What is the difference between default and custom installations?
In default installation, all the anti-virus package components are automatically installed into C:\Program Files\DrWeb\ folder.
In custom installation, you can specify the list of components to be installed (e.g. you may choose not to install a firewall if you don’t need it), select installation folder and configure update server.
When installing anti-virus, I see the following message: “Instmsi30.exe not found”. What am I to do?
To have this error fixed, you need to download and install an update for Windows, and then restart anti-virus installation.
Why can’t I keep another anti-virus on my PC while installing Dr.Web?
It is not allowed to install several anti-virus programs on one PC at a time — they will conflict with each other that may considerably slow down you PC or make it completely non-operational. If you have an anti-virus software already installed on your PC, but intend to install a new product from another vendor, then you need to remove the anti-virus program you have, prior to the installation.
If you wish to install another anti-virus program, you do it at your own risk, and become responsible for all the consequences because the consequences of such installation might be unpredictable including inability of your OS to boot as a result of two or more anti-viruses installed on your PC.